Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Nailing Pinterest-one Jedi at a time

I have been in a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with Pinterest since I discovered it a few years ago. Most of the time the site makes me feel like a complete failure as a mom, a crafter, a person in general. Does anyone REALLY make this stuff other than the prop artists of pottery barn kids catalog? I have all these great expectations when I find an idea on Pinterest, I visit Hobby Lobby (they own half my paycheck), get over the top excited about my crafty purchases, print my Pinterest instructions, and start CRAFTING. My finished products have never been anything worthy of sharing (except with the trash can)…until now. This mom, as in ME, nailed Pinterest and I am going to brag about it until someone slaps me.

My sweet baby boy is no longer a baby-he is 6!!!! For his 6th birthday we are planning a park party with a visit from a real live Jedi (or a man named Arnold dressed up as a Jedi). Arnold came last year as Batman, and he was awesome-sword fights, Batman games, he did it all, the kids had a blast. This year Arnold will be back as a Jedi, so I decided to give Pinterest one more go in search for the perfect Jedi party favors. Success-I found some awesome Jedi robes. 

With one eye open and my fingers crossed, I committed myself to making 15 Jedi robes (complete with belts) and 10 Princess Laya headband braids. Two trips to Hobby Lobby and one trip to Joanns later, and I had 8 yards of brown fabric, 10 pieces of brown felt, 1000 yards of brown thread, and 24 new hot glue gun sticks. I forgot to mention the pool noodle light sabers, I only have the two prototypes done, I will get to the rest on Friday night. 


Using two different ideas for Jedi robes I came up with this. 






The girls will be sporting these awesome Princess Laya braid headbands (made one for myself too). 






Fifteen Jedi robes and 10 Laya head bands later-and I would say I nailed Pinterest-at least for this go around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment