So after I made my daughters first pair of pants I made her a skirt, then another, then another- and some jammies for her brother (an unintentional yet fantastic rhyme). A friend told me "if you can make pajama pants, you can make anything." I took her seriously. My daughter started wearing the "Stuff that Mom Makes" every day. I love it. It won't last. Before I know it all the stuff I make will be in a heaping pile on her closet floor, replaced with "Made in Malaysia." For now I will soak up every second that my sweet seven year old wears the stuff I make.
![]() |
| Jammies for the boy, ruffle skirt and jammie pants for the girl. |
What else do I make? I paint, I have been painting for a long time, mostly watercolor. My grandmother was an artist and I very gratefully inherited my grandmothers love of watercolor.
![]() |
| The one on the left was painted by my grandmother in the 60's-my mother on the beach. I did the replicate on the right. |
My newest passion (aside from my Singer) is making glass beads-with a blow torch. I have always liked glass. I went to a glass blowing exhibit once, I left motivated to quit my job and become a glass blowers apprentice. Melting glass is really cool, shaping it into something useful is even cooler. One day while shopping for mosaic materials in Hobby Lobby I noticed a glass makers kit. I thought "interesting, must learn more." With the help of google, youtube, ace hardware and a lampworking (that's what melting glass with a torch is called) supply site, I taught myself how to make a glass bead-the mosaic remains unfinished.
![]() |
| My first bead. I was so proud-it is so ugly. |
I kept watching youtube videos (mostly British people, they must really like glass too), got some books from the library (someone wrote a book about melting glass into a bead, so odd) and I practiced practiced practiced. I hijacked my garage, turned it into a studio and went to town. A few weeks later I had this.
This is just some of the stuff that mom makes-and it makes me happy.




I love it and see you already have at least one reader and a commenter! ;-)
ReplyDelete