The term "store bought" has become the new four letter word in my house and it is really starting to get old. My arrogance in thinking that I can make anything from scratch is starting to cost me a lot of money and after last week the term "store bought" was starting to sound really good. In AUGUST I purchased the just released Princess Elsa sewing pattern from Joann fabrics (I emphasized August because I finished it, sans sleeves, last night (Oct 30) at 11 pm). I spent over an hour in the store sifting through piles of blue material, shades of sheer white, and all of the notions the pattern required (I sound like such a pro when I use sewing terms like "notions"-in honesty, I had to look it up, in fact most of the items listed on the pattern I have to look up. I will slide over to a side isle in Joanns and google the terms so I don't have to ask the ladies behind the counter, thus admitting my amateur status). I was so excited to pull the pattern out and get started on my girls first handmade gown. Not only have I never sewn a gown before, I have never sewn sequenced material, I am still a novice at zippers, and the sheer material I purchased for the sleeves was down right scary. I was in for a challenge but I was up for it-although I was not prepared for the MILLION tiny little blue sparkles that are going to be floating around our house for the next twenty years.
After MANY MANY MANY hours of sewing, measuring, altering, cutting, redoing, seam ripping, and calling Eva into the sewing room to try it on "just one more time"....I finally had a dress, and she was happy. Did I save any money at all? NOPE-what could have been $20 at amazon was about $65 in materials.
.JPG) |
| she could not stand still long enough for a good picture. |
Now Ben's costume, that was MUCH easier and this really was cheaper-FREE.I had an old pottery barn curtain that was the perfect shade of khaki and thanks to Google I learned that a martial arts robe (which we have) is a great pattern for a Jedi robe. I was not planning on making the pants and the boot covers at first, but after a puckering lower lip from a very sad little six year old boy who "would only have half a costume" I made the lower half as well. It turned out perfect. He was very pleased....and I am now waiting for his casting call from Hollywood Studios in Orlando.
No comments:
Post a Comment